Mainland China announced the top 10 bestselling Chinese productions of this year's first quarter, and Hong Kong films secured seven spots on the chart. No wonder they say good news travels fast.
1. Little Big Soldier 165.9 million RMB
2. 14 Blades 143.58 million RMB
3. Hot Summer Days 131.53 million RMB
4. Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf 126.65 million RMB
5. Just Another Pandora's Box 108.32 million RMB
6. Confucius 101.02 million RMB
7. All's Well Ends Well 61.32 million RMB
8. True Legend 50.65 million RMB
9. 72 Tenants of Prosperity 38.16 million RMB
10. Future X-Cops 9.02 million RMB
The above numbers are as of March 31. While "Future X-Cops" was not released until March 29, its box office closed on April 24 is approximately 42 million RMB. A handful of the listed Chinese productions feature Hong Kong elements that ascribe significance of Hong Kong's contribution to a marked degree. "Hot Summer Days" stars Hong Kong actors Nicholas Tse and Daniel Wu; "Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf" is based on Hong Kong screenwriter Lo Wing Keung's screenplay; "Confucius" stars Hong Kong legend Chow Yun Fat and is bolstered by a crew including Peter Pau, Yee Chung Man, John Shum and Chui Bo Chu.
(Reported by Wang Lei; Translated by Arthur Chin)